How to Find the Right Direct Sales Company for You
In our last post we talked about Direct Sales and how it could be a good business model for you. Today let’s move on to the next step which is finding the right direct sales company for you. There are so many companies available, that it can be difficult to select the one that suits you the best.
While direct sales is not new, in the last ten years or so, this model has increased in popularity. Due to people wanting to either work from home, or find a new income stream.
Today, it is possible to find direct sales companies that sell just about anything. From clothes & candles to kitchen gadgets and tea, there’s a direct sales company that offers it.
Tips for Finding a Direct Sales Company
Use the following three steps to help you narrow down your choices and find the right direct sales company for you and for your success.
Step #1 What are you interested in?
Think about what your own passions, interests and hobbies are. What do you like and do you own any direct sales products that fit your interest? Make a list of items that you think you would enjoy selling and demonstrating to people.
Examples of this include being a candle consultant and talking about the different fragrances. Plus talking about how to use candles in your home décor.
If you are into fitness then you might like to sell nutrition supplements, fitness gear and gadgets. Make a list of at least 5 products that you would like to sell. Selling products that you enjoy will ultimately make you a better sales person. You will have fun while demonstrating the products and your enthusiasm will spill onto your guests, and procure more sales. Selling a product that you don’t like will have the opposite effect. Makes sense doesn’t it?
Step #2 Research direct sales opportunities
Now that you have a list of potential products you’d like to sell, it’s time to research. You can find direct sales directories online. You can also visit the Direct Sales Association, dsa.org, for information. Write down the companies that offer products that match your interests.
Step #3 Compare opportunities
Not all direct sales companies are created equally. In fact, they can be quite different. Visit the website of each direct sales company you’re interested in.
- Company growth and history – How long have they been in business and how successful are they? Is the company growing?
- How they support their consultants – Do you get marketing materials? Do you have access to a mentor? Do they provide a website?
- How much does it cost to get started?
- How much do they pay? How are you compensated?
- Do they offer a tiered system? Can you recruit new consultants and earn a percentage of their sales?
- How often do they add new products?
- What are their marketing rules? Can you create your own marketing materials? Can you have a website? (Some companies do not allow this.) Do they allow you to sell however you see fit?
- Do you have to produce monthly minimum results or buy a certain amount of inventory each month?
As you do your research you will find pros and cons for each company you research. If you need help narrowing down your choices, consider attending a party in your area. Getting to know other direct sales consultants who also represent the company’s products can answer your remaining questions.
You’re going to invest a lot of time and energy into your business. Make sure you’re representing a company that is going to support you to succeed, and one that you can be proud to represent.